Tricia MorrowAt NS since: the beginning
Education: B.A. (elementary & special education), Knox College; graduate work in educational management and parenting studies
- Tricia’s teaching experience and lots of elbow grease proved helpful as she joined Joyce and John Mallory in the formation of Neighborhood School.
- Tricia and her husband Scott are proud parents of NS alums Anna, Michaela, and Nick.
- From her rural upbringing, Tricia brings a pig collection and a sense of small-town connectedness to our school.
Joyce MalloryAt NS since: the beginning
Position: Level 3 teacher; Special Education coordinator
Education: M.Ed. (special education), UMass Boston. Joyce helps us to keep track of learning differences and specific methods of instruction and assessment to meet individual needs.
- In 1986, with her late husband, John, Joyce brought her pre-school through middle school teaching experience to the formation of NS. Joyce is also mother to two adult sons, Jared and Jon Marc, and grandmother to Lila Rae and Dylan!
- Children associate Joyce with music, frogs, cats, and coffee.
Donna DeVaughnAt NS since: the beginning (with a hiatus teaching in the Boston Public Schools and the Atrium School)
Position: Learning Skills & Level 2 literacy specialist
Education: M.Sc.Ed., C.A.G.S. (special education), Wheelock College
- "Our school is alive with the sound of music." Donna’s passions include singing, drumming, and recorder with a dash of piano and guitar.
- "Have they left home yet?" Donna is the proud parent of young adults Christina, Adrienne, and Tamara, and proud grandmother of Kyrieh, Joshua, and Josiah!
Shari Zakon FeibelAt NS since: 1989
Position: Level 2 teacher, Level 3 science teacher, Level 4 journalism teacher
Education: M.Ed. (elementary ed.), George Washington University
- Shari is the proud mother of NS alumni Sam and Eli
- Shari speaks 4 languages: English (hello), Spanish (hola), Hebrew (shalom), and Russian.
- Vindicated: Shari kept the faith for many years. Go, Sox!
Scott MorrowAt NS since: 1995, when he and Tricia began sharing administrative duties along with home care of their children.
Position: Renaissance man; board member, financial officer, maintenance impresario, and Phys Ed teacher par excellence
Education: M.Div., Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary
- Basketball, the trumpet, and fatherhood are among Scott’s passions.
- Get the scoop: Scott’s freezer is usually well-stocked with ice cream of various flavors.
Jai Johnson UnderhillAt NS since: 1998
Position: Art teacher
Education: School of the Museum of Fine Arts (jewelry & metalsmithing), including work as a teaching assistant
- Jai began her association with NS in 1991 when her daughter, Emma, enrolled in Level 1.
- Jai has also taught tap dancing to kids and adults since 2001.
- Jai makes her mark on the NS community as costume mistress for our school plays.
Drew CurtisAt NS since: 1999
Position: Level 4 teacher
Education: B.A. (anthropology), Washington University
- Drew’s background in writing and editing is the impetus for wonderful writing projects in Level 4.
- No parking? No problem! Proud parent of Max (alum) and Jesse (Level 3), Drew lives within walking distance of NS.
Steven YakutisAt NS since: 2006
Position: Drama teacher
Education: M.F.A., Emerson College
- Steve is the proud papa of two NS alums, Sokra and Mey.
- Steve is also a member of the performing arts faculty at Emerson College.
Johnny Charpentier JohnsonAt NS since: 2007
Position: Drama and Dance Teacher since 2007, Music and Rap Around Teacher since 2015
Education: B.A. (Theater & Dance performance), Oberlin College
- Johnny was one of NS’s first students, joining Level 1 in January of 1988.
- Johnny has been teaching or assisting at Neighborhood School almost continuously since graduating in 1994 (with a short hiatus to do some traveling and studying), including several years of circus and drama camp counseling as a pre-teen and teen!
- Johnny is also an instructor and administrator at Esh Circus Arts in Somerville, and sings with two different soul bands, including one co-run with Johnny’s dad, J. Johnson.
Peg BonniceAt NS since: 2011
Position: Level 2 teacher
Education: M.Ed., UMass Boston
- Peg previously worked in the Boston Public Schools as a classroom teacher, math specialist, and administrator.
- Some of Peg's hobbies—quilting and sewing—involve using her favorite subject, math!
- Playing pretend with her grandchildren is one of Peg's favorite pastimes.
Tracy PimentelAt NS since: 2014
Position: Level 1 Teacher
Education: M.Ed. (early childhood education), Lesley University
- Tracy completed a practicum at Neighborhood School with Level 2 back in 2005 during her undergraduate days at Lesley University.
- She lives in Roslindale with her husband Angel and her son Ezra.
- Level 1 students will have fun discovering which four languages Tracy can speak!
Lisa NamAt NS since: 2016
Position: Level 4 teacher
Education: B.A. (Peace and Justice Studies), Wellesley College; Elementary Education Licensure
- Lisa likes to paint, sew, make ceramics, and weave.
- Lisa loves to travel and has taught and researched education in Europe, Asia, and Africa!
Anna SlavinAt NS since: 2017
Position: Level 3 teacher
Education: M.Ed. (Childhood Education, Museum Education), Bank Street Graduate School of Education
- Before classroom teaching, I taught in museums. I have taught in five museums including the American Museum of Natural History and the Whitney Museum in NYC.
- I was born and raised in Cambridge and still live across the river today!
- I wrote and illustrated a picture book about dyslexia for kids with dyslexia.
Faculty photos by 3rd Eye Photo.